Protecting your data is very important to Netmedia Ltd (“Parents’ Evening Booking System”, “us” or “we”).
Before reading on, please be aware that this policy is intended for use by all who interact with Netmedia Ltd, including parents who use the Parents’ Evening Booking System and “customers” (schools and local authorities) for whom we hold data about them as our customer. As such, we have attempted to provide specific clarity related to these two user groups below, including exceptions where rules only apply one of these two groups. We hope this provides additional clarity as to your specific rights.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”), the data controller is Netmedia Limited (Old Drynie House, Kilmuir, North Kessock, Inverness, IV1 3XG), except where the school or local authority owns the parent/pupil/teacher/booking data.
Information we may collect about you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- information that you provide to us. You may give us information by filling in forms on our Website or providing it to us via email. In the case of a school who enquire or become a customer, this includes information you provide at the time of registration, subscription to our services or at any subsequent point. The information you give us may include, without limitation, the school you are enquiring on behalf of, your name, job title, the school address, your work e-mail address and work telephone number. In the case of a parent, your school or local authority has provided your data and we will process this to allow you to access the Parents’ Evening Booking System, by verifying your credentials against those help by the school;
- if you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence;
- we may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them;
- information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to the Website we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from the Website (including date and time); pages views or searches; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
- information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. We also work closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, providers of payment services, analytics providers, search information providers) and may receive information about you from them.
We will hold the above information for as long as is necessary in order to provide you with our services (such as the Parents’ Evening Booking System), deal with any specific issues that you may raise or otherwise as is required by law or any relevant regulatory body.
Information we may collect about others
We may collect and process the data about others that you provide us with, including (but not limited to):
- information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website or provide us by email or taken directly from the school MIS system via our provided uploading techniques or an exporter utility installed by the school network manager;
You represent and warrant to us that you have obtained the express consent from the individuals whose data you provide us with.
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration. This is statistical information about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookies policy.
Where we store your personal information
Except as set out in this section, the personal data that we collect from you is stored in the European Union and shall not be transferred or stored at a destination outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”).
Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, certain marketing data (for example, email addresses that form part of our prospective marketing database) may be transferred to and stored at a destination outside of the EEA and may also be processed by staff operating outside of the EEA. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing and processing.
For further clarity of the above point, in line with the Data Protection Act (1998), we will never use parent, student or teacher data which we process on behalf of customers (schools or local authorities) for any activity other than to allow customers to use the Parents’ Evening Booking System. We do not collect parent e-mail addresses and use them for marketing purposes, for example.
Customer passwords are stored on our servers in encrypted form. We do not disclose your account details, postal or email addresses to anyone except when legally required to do so.
Sensitive information between your browser and our website is transferred in encrypted form using Secure Socket Layer (“SSL”). When transmitting sensitive information, you should always make sure that your browser can validate the Netmedia Limited certificate.
How we use your information
We use information held about you (and information about others that you have provided us with) in the following ways:
- to provide you with our Parents’ Evening Booking System;
- to ensure you receive information relevant to you;
- to enable parents, teachers and school administrators to search for and book parents’ evening appointments with teachers;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to contact students, parents and teachers, but only where you have given us permission to do so. This clause is to be able to provide product support and will never be for marketing purposes;
- to ensure the content on our Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer or mobile device;
- as part of our efforts to keep our Website safe and secure;
- to provide research or data statistics, provided always that we only use aggregated and anonymised data; and
- to notify you about changes to our service.
We will not:
- sell your data (or any other data you provide us with) to third-parties at all;
- use the information held about you (and information about others) to provide you with advertising or other services that you have not requested; or
- sell your data upon the winding up of Netmedia Limited.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to any partner of Netmedia Limited and/or a member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets;
- if Netmedia Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party; or
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Netmedia Limited, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. However, if you make such a request we will be forced to close your account and you will not be able to use our services.
Our Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you by submitting a request in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 (or the prevailing statutory fee) to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you. All such requests should be sent to email@example.com.
Record of all Categories of Processing Activities Carried Out
- Netmedia Ltd keeps a database of all of its customers (the schools) and their main contact. This is our record of who the ‘Controller’ is from a data protection standpoint.
- Article 9 of the GDPR categorises ‘sensitive data’ as a “special category”. The data collected by Netmedia does not meet with any of these definitions. We purely host parent, pupil and teacher name data, and in the case of parents, where applicable, their contact telephone and e-mail address, as well as the student’s date of birth, teacher class names and “class codes”.
- Technical information on how personal data is secured is naturally sensitive, which helps us put up the best protection possible, but where possible we can provide details if required. Write to us; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to this policy
This policy was last updated on 23/1/2018.